Communism, Socialism, Occupism

April 19, 2012  •  Leave a Comment

Hutch Newspaper Project

Jan. 2012

BY: ALYSSA JOHNSON

 

Many college graduates and current students are entrapped in a money war.

College costs for students are at a record high. For most, there seems to be no means to protest the high cost.
Yet Kait, a 20-year-old college student who appeared on MTV’s “True Life—I’m Occupying Wall Street,” is a participant of a movement.

“After 10 minutes of being down there, I knew that I wasn’t going to leave anytime soon,” Kait told True Life. “I feel like I am finally doing something, not just sitting around and complaining about it.”

Kait refers to the Occupy Wall Street movement - a protest from the lower 99 percent of Americans about the high wealth of the other 1 percent. From current college students to single parents to retired workers, Occupy protesters have gathered in Zuccotti Park in New York City since Sept. 17, 2011 demanding equal distribution of wealth from the government and the message “We are the 99 Percent.”

This is where I as a viewer and soon-to-be college student began to struggle with the notion. My family technically is part of the 99 percent, but we don’t struggle financially. We work. We don’t complain. We problem solve. We don’t protest. We joke at the protests. To me, it seems that all the Occupy protesters are doing is complaining. The occupiers have offered no plans, no solutions. They have offered, however, some food for thought.

I am a believer in never complaining without also considering a solution; that is what I have done.
First, we need to start with what do the occupiers want? A place to work? A form of health care? To all be treated as equals? Seems easy enough, right?

Okay. My first idea. Communism. Seriously, think about it! Communism can offer everyone a job (whether you enjoy the work it or not,) a health care plan (that everyone has, so it offers very little protective) and equality (in material form) -- not to mention the various other perks of the system

Moreover, for all the religion hounds who argue over what is right, the government would tell us what to believe. For all of the bloggers with stories to share, the government would sensor everything so much that every post agrees with the ‘right view.’ We would no longer have a voice of opinion. The best part? We would not be able to join together and petition the government for our rights back.

Okay, clearly communism is probably not the best plan. The idea of equality sounds great, but when I really started breaking it down, I think I would rather chew my own face off than live in a communist nation.

So, let’s consider my Plan B. Socialism. It offers some of the same perks from communism, but without all the crazy ... I think.

Let’s play this out. Socialism can basically be broken down into shared ownership. This means, the wealth would all be distributed equally. Exactly what the occupiers want.

But let’s think about socialism like this. Students, would you share your grades with students who are not as successful in order for everyone to have equal grades? There is a floating legend of a Texas Tech economics professor who used socialism as an experiment in his class of students who strongly believed in the concept. Long story short, by the third test given during the semester, the student average grade was an F and every student failed the class.

If socialism doesn’t work with grades, why would it work with money? People cannot receive anything that was not taken from another.
I guess you could say that if neither of the plans will benefit Americans, why are Americans protesting and risking having our rights taken away? Stop complaining and start working.


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...
Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April (5) May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December